Thursday, April 01, 2010

30 days of being a real parent

Last year, one of my dearest and oldest friends gave me "the gift that keeps giving" - a magazine subscription.

It was decadence. Every month I knew that I had a date in my bathtub with the latest installment; where I could think about nothing else than the perfect pictures and homely ideas in that magazine.

In one of my monthly indulgences I came across an article called 365 Reasons To Be Grateful. It was a woman's personal project for which every day for one year she took a single Polaroid photograph of something she was grateful for.

It was pure genius. I loved the idea.

Except I didn't have a Polaroid camera.

Then, on the 1st of January, a good friend (who lives in Mongolia, no less) started her 365 Days of Gratitude project on Facebook using her digital camera.

I couldn't believe she stole my idea.

Well, okay. She probably read the same article.

But damn her for doing it first.

Then as I usually do, I began thinking of reasons not to do the project myself. Could I really take a photo for every day of the year? What if I forgot my camera? What if I ran out of things to be grateful for? Perhaps my photos won't be good enough. I really don't have the time...

Then a friend said, just try a month.

I could do that.

And then it hit me. With all the action my boys have partaken of lately, why don't I do it on being a parent - with all the real stuff.

So, I've decided as my duty to the community who read this blog (albeit, a teeny tiny one), the whole of April is dedicated to this very cause.

Welcome to 30 days of being a real parent.

This ought to be a little bit of fun at least.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea Kym....and at least I read about the daily photo in someone else's copy of the magazine :-) I will look forward to seeing how each day goes. You will find so many things to photograph.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughtful and positive words and taking the time to comment. Love Kymmie. xx